New Student Checklist
Before the Semester Begins
- Access and explore your personalized student portal by logging in to byupathway.org/sign-in.
- Bookmark or save this link to easily access your BYU-Pathway Portal in the future.
- From the BYU-Pathway Portal, you can find contact information for your service missionaries, access your online courses (when available), pay tuition, and more.
- If you don’t already have Microsoft Office on your computer, download and install a free copy from your student portal. PathwayConnect courses require the use of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, so be sure these programs are installed and working properly before the first day of the semester.
- View and practice each section of the I-Learn Canvas tutorial video. This tutorial will show you how to access your courses and how to navigate to course materials, assignments, quizzes, and more.
- The tutorial will take approximately an hour or more to complete, but you can leave the tutorial, if needed, and return to complete it later.
- Students eligible for institute should register by (1) contacting your local institute or (2) enrolling the first night of class. Contact your service missionaries with questions about your institute location or class, and contact BYU-Pathway Support with all other questions.
- Find a list of institute locations.
- Be sure to tell your institute that you want to take the class for transferable credit.
Students Gathering Virtually
- If you are a student gathering virtually (most are due to COVID-19), you will experience the same curriculum and coursework as other students in PathwayConnect. The only difference is that your weekly gatherings will be held via videoconference (Zoom) rather than in person.
- Sign in to byupathway.org/sign-in. On the left side of your student portal under “My Gathering Place,” you can find your:
- Gathering day and time
- Gathering Zoom link
- To gather virtually, you must have:
- A phone, laptop, or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone, as well as a headset or headphones
- Regular access to high-speed internet
- A quiet area with good lighting
- For more information about how to have a positive gathering experience, please review these Virtual Gathering Guidelines.
- We also recommend you do a Zoom test call on your device before your first virtual gathering. Contact BYU-Pathway Support with additional questions or issues.
First Week of the Semester
- The semester officially begins on Monday, April 19, 2021.
- To access your courses, log in to your BYU-Pathway Portal at byupathway.org/sign-in and select your courses in the upper right corner. See the Quick Start Guide for additional instructions.
- Your courses should be available on Saturday, April 17.
All students in PathwayConnect participate in weekly academic gatherings. Most students participate in institute classes, while some participate in a religion class. To see which course you will participate in, log in to your BYU-Pathway Portal at byupathway.org/sign-in.
- Academic Gathering
- Academic gatherings are typically every Thursday, starting the week of April 19. However, some students, including students gathering virtually, may gather on a different day. As the semester approaches, please regularly check your portal for details about your gathering time and location or contact your service missionaries.
- Academic gatherings last for 60 minutes.
- Institute Gathering
- Contact your service missionaries or your local institute to find out the first day of institute class. Your first institute class is determined locally and typically starts on a different date than your academic courses.
- Institute gatherings last for 90 minutes.
- Religion Gathering
- Students who don’t have institute available in their area will participate in a religion class, which lasts for 60 minutes once a week.
- Tuition is due on or before the first day of the semester on April 19, 2021.
- If you cannot pay your entire tuition by April 19, you can still continue PathwayConnect. You can make monthly payments throughout the semester, but you will be charged an additional one-time 5% fee on any balance remaining by Monday, July 19, at 11:59 p.m. (Mountain Time).
- Tuition must be paid in full by the registration deadline for the next semester (August 24, 2021) in order to register and guarantee your spot for future semesters.
Check Your Email Regularly
- Email is the official method of communication for students participating in PathwayConnect. Be sure to check your email regularly for important information and announcements from BYU-Pathway Worldwide or BYU-Pathway Support.