12.4 Communication Resources
Pathway’s communication efforts are intended to a) reflect the inspiring stories of students and other constituents; b) clearly inform key audiences regarding pertinent program information, updates, policies, and administrative procedures; and c) educate Church members and priesthood leaders on the blessings and benefits of Pathway.
News releases are the primary method for garnering media interest in Pathway, and therefore influencing public opinion. News releases include information that we believe a) will help build the reputation and mission of Pathway, and b) will be of interest to target publics.
Blogs offer a unique opportunity to present a more human side to Pathway. By nature, blogs are more casual and allow for greater flexibility and creativity with content. The PathwayConnect blog will contain articles written by PathwayConnect Communications and other PathwayConnect employees, as well as missionaries and priesthood leaders.
PathwayConnect uses social media to connect with audiences by sharing inspiring and engaging content.
- Facebook: PathwayConnect (BYU-Idaho); www.facebook.com/BYUIdahoPathway
- Twitter: @BYUIdahoPathway
- Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/PathwayBYUI
- Instagram: pathway_byuidaho
In most areas, individual PathwayConnect sites may create unofficial social media pages for their site or group. Owners of these pages should comply with the following guidelines:
- Include a disclaimer noting, “This page is not endorsed or supported by Pathway.”
- Neither the PathwayConnect nor the BYU-Idaho logo may be used or imitated.
- The name and contact information of the member who is responsible for the page should be included.
- Page owners should not state or imply that their page or activities are sponsored or endorsed by PathwayConnect.
- Photographs of other individuals or personal information about them should not be displayed without their written consent.
PathwayConnect creates and has made available many promotional videos to inform and promote the program. These videos may be found on the PathwayConnect website at http://pathwaynewsroom.org/photos-and-videos/.
On some occasions, individual PathwayConnect sites may desire to create unofficial videos for their site or group to celebrate and promote PathwayConnect locally. These videos should comply with the following guidelines:
- Focus on students’ personal experiences in PathwayConnect. Do not explain how PathwayConnect works or how it operates — use official PathwayConnect videos for those purposes.
- Include a disclaimer within the video noting, “This video is not endorsed or supported by Pathway.”
- Do not use or imitate the Pathway logo or the BYU-Idaho logo.
- Avoid using official PathwayConnect colors.
- Include the name and contact information of the person who is responsible for the video.
- Do not state or imply that the video or opinions expressed therein are sponsored or endorsed by PathwayConnect.
- Obtain written consent to use the images and/or personal information for all individuals in the video.
- Obtain approval from facilities managers when filming in Church-owned facilities.
- Use professional judgment in creating any materials that reflect on the Church, BYU-Idaho, or PathwayConnect.