9.1 L Version
All students enrolled in PathwayConnect’s L version are required to participate in the Speaking Partner Program during all three semesters of PathwayConnect. These students are referred to as “speaking partner learners.”
Speaking partner learners are required to fulfill the following as part of their participation in the Speaking Partner Program:
- Have access to high-speed Internet, a webcam, and video chat capabilities
- Participate in a 30-minute appointment once a week for 12 consecutive weeks during each semester in PathwayConnect
- If under the age of 18, the student should contact the Pathway Support Center before using the Speaking Partner Matching Tool (See 9.4.1 Matching Tool).
Speaking partner learners meet for a 30-minute appointment once a week with a speaking partner mentor to practice English conversation using a video chat tool or in person. Appointments are conducted as follows:
- Speaking partner appointments must be conducted solely in English.
- Conversation during appointments should be led by the learner and should center on the discussion material for that week’s lesson.
- Learners must be on time for their appointments and make a strong effort to communicate clearly and well in advance with their mentor if there is a need to change the time of a scheduled appointment.
Links to the speaking partner discussion materials are available within the PathwayConnect L version courses. During the appointment, speaking partner learners should speak for 30 minutes about the discussion material. They are not required to have completed all of the discussion material within that timeframe.
The responsibility of finding a mentor to fulfill the L version speaking partner requirement lies solely upon the learner.
It is preferred that the learner finds a mentor on their own — a relative, friend, ward member, or other known individual that meets the eligibility requirements to be a mentor (see 9.3.1 Volunteer Requirements).
Speaking partner learners must self-report their weekly activity. Reporting occurs within the PathwayConnect L version courses. Weekly self-reporting is also required when completing alternate assignments (see 9.4.4 Alternate Assignments and Exemptions). Instructors maintain autonomy over the grading and deadlines of assignments for their students.