9.2 Volunteer Mentors
Any member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (as well as non-members enrolled in BYU-Idaho or PathwayConnect courses) may participate as volunteer mentors and assist Pathway L-version students with their English-speaking abilities.
Volunteer speaking partner mentors must meet the following requirements to participate:
- Speak English
- Be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a BYU-Idaho student or PathwayConnect student
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Participate in a 30-minute appointment once a week for 12 consecutive weeks
Speaking partner mentors meet for a 30-minute appointment once a week with a speaking partner learner using a video chat tool or in person. Appointments are conducted as follows:
- Speaking partner appointments must be conducted solely in English.
- Conversation during appointments should be led by the learner and should center on the discussion material for that week’s lesson.
- Volunteer mentors must be on time for their appointments and make a strong effort to communicate clearly and well in advance with their learner if there is a need to change the time of a scheduled appointment.
There is no required or formal training to be a volunteer mentor, nor is it a requirement to know a language other than English. Volunteer mentors are welcome to use the Speaking Partner Mentor Guide for useful tips for interacting with and helping language learners.
Links to the speaking partner discussion materials are available on the BYU-Pathway Worldwide website. During the appointment, speaking partner learners should speak for 30 minutes about the discussion material. They are not required to have completed all of the discussion material within that time frame.
Volunteers primarily join the Speaking Partner Program in two ways: 1) by registering with the speaking partner matching tool (see Matching Tool 9.1.3) or 2) by accepting a direct offer to volunteer as a mentor for a PathwayConnect L-version student. For volunteers who are asked to participate directly by an L-version student, registration with the matching tool is not required.
Volunteer mentors are not required to fill out reports. Only the L-version students will submit reports related to their participation.