New Student Checklist
Before the Term Begins
- Access and explore your personalized student portal by logging in to byupathway.org/sign-in.
- Your student portal is where you’ll access your online courses (once open), apply for the Heber J. Grant Scholarship and pay tuition (see below), view your gathering information (see below), and more.
- To learn what you can do to prepare for courses, type “orientation” into the BYU-Pathway Guide chat bot found in the bottom right corner of your student portal.
- Bookmark or save the link above to easily access your BYU-Pathway Portal in the future.
- Select your gathering group! Select “My Gathering” on the left side of your student portal. Click “Select Group” to see a list of available groups. Choose a gathering day and time that fits your schedule, and click “Continue.”
- Once you select a group, you’ll be able to view contact information for your service missionaries, as well as the location/link, day, and time for your weekly gathering.
- View and practice each section of the I-Learn Canvas tutorial video. This tutorial will show you how to access your courses and how to navigate to course materials, assignments, quizzes, and more.
- The tutorial will take approximately an hour or more to complete, but you can leave the tutorial, if needed, and return to complete it later.
- An important part of the PathwayConnect experience are the credit-bearing institute courses. Students take one institute class each of the three terms they are enrolled. These free institute credits are required and count toward a degree from BYU-Idaho or Ensign College. If you have questions about institute in your area or available religion courses, please contact your local institute.
Students Gathering Virtually
- If you are a student gathering virtually (most are currently), you will experience the same curriculum and coursework as other students in PathwayConnect. The only difference is that your weekly gatherings will be held via videoconference (Zoom) rather than in person.
- Sign in to byupathway.org/sign-in. On the left side of your student portal under “My Gathering Place,” you can find your:
- Gathering day and time
- Gathering Zoom link
- To gather virtually, it’s suggested you have:
- A phone, laptop, or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone, as well as headphones or earbuds
- Access to reliable internet
- For more information about how to have a positive gathering experience, please review these Virtual Gathering Guidelines.
- We also recommend you do a Zoom test call with another person before your first virtual gathering. Contact BYU-Pathway Support with additional questions or issues.
Your First Week
- The term officially begins on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.
- To access your courses, log in to your BYU-Pathway Portal at byupathway.org/sign-in and select your courses in the upper right corner. See the Quick Start Guide for additional instructions.
- Your courses should be available on Saturday, December 31.
All students in PathwayConnect participate in weekly academic gatherings. Most students participate in institute courses, while a few participate in religion courses. To see which courses you will participate in, log in to your BYU-Pathway Portal at byupathway.org/sign-in.
- Academic Gathering
- Academic gatherings will start the week of January 2. As the term approaches, please regularly check your portal for details about your gathering day, time, and location, or contact your service missionaries.
- Your weekly institute course will typically begin the same week as your academic gathering. Please contact your local institute with questions.
- Tuition can either be paid at the start of the term, or you can make partial payments through the term.
- To pay tuition:
- Your tuition for the current term must be paid in full before you can register for future terms of PathwayConnect or an online degree program from BYU-Idaho or Ensign College. You will be charged an additional one-time 5% fee on the last Tuesday of the term on any remaining balance.
Check Your Email Regularly
- Email is the official method of communication for BYU-Pathway students. Be sure to check your email regularly for important information and announcements from BYU-Pathway Worldwide or BYU-Pathway Support.